Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Technology Tuesday*

My grandpa is super tech-savvy. He had an iPod while I was still figuring out that I didn't have to flip  over my cd to hear the rest of the music. He has all sorts of gadgets and knows all about the latest and greatest while the rest of us are still bumbling around trying to keep up with the jargon.

The Social Media, on the other hand, is an entirely different story. I fully appreciate that he has succumbed to The Facebook. I also fully appreciate that he uses it solely to stalk us. He has it set so that anytime we do anything--a n y t h i n g--on the 'book he gets an email. Some folks might get their undies in a bundle over such a development, but I think we allllll would benefit if everyone had a grandparent keeping such tabs. not that I would otherwise post anything scando on the 'book, because yikes. ha. like I do anything  worthy of being deemed scandalous. what's that? you're crocheting up a storm before hitting the hay at the latelate hour of 10 after a night out drinking tea with your gal pals? betta watch yaself, you're going to be the talk of the town tomorrow! 

One of the special benefits of such an arrangement is that we get to discuss the always thrilling details of my social life, as self-conveyed via the blackest of black internet holes (sometimes weeks after the fact if I'm extra lucky)! We get to have fun telephone conversations, like the following:

(on my birthday)
Grandpa: So, I'm looking at your facebook page.
Cheryl: Oh, yeah?
Grandpa: Yes. l o n g  p a u s e heh heh. Interesting.
Cheryl: ????

or all-time my personal fave from last September.
Thee best fast-food burrito joint in all of the land had a college night in which they offered up a free burrito that contained enough matter to sustain a family of four for several days to anyone with a  valid college i.d. YES. Ari and I took full advantage of that. and then the following occurred.

profound well-written Facebook posts, always.
much like this blog.

Fast forward to three weeks later.
Grandma calls, and while we're catching up, Grandpa starts saying something in the background. I could hear Grandma roll her eyes as she said, "I don't know, you ask her." 
There was a lot of hustle-and-bustle going on during the phone transfer. And then this gem.

Grandpa: How's Leo doing?
Cheryl: What?
Grandpa: Leo. How's Leo doing?
Cheryl: What are you talking about? I don't know anyone named Leo.
Grandpa: Oh, is that not what it's called?
Cheryl: ....huh?
Grandpa: That restaurant with the free stuff.

Ladies and gentl Lady (once again, record-breaking readership over here. this blog is the most popular), my grandfather just asked me about my food baby. Three weeks after the fact. 
Be jealous.

Warmest of regards,
C

*I am aware that today is Thursday. But Technology Thursday doesn't have quite the same charm. Deal with it in your heart.


1 comment:

I get an inappropriate amount of validation from comments and thus would love to hear from you.