Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Creeeeak. Or, I love this city in spite of its...charm.

I'm back in my fav city after a nice stint in my hometown. Otherwise known as the luxury that is winter break of senior year of college. I soaked that up for allll it was worth. I am amazed at the accuracy of my imitation of a sloth going into hibernation. Month-long vacations, may you forever rest in peace. You will be dearly missed.  

Jessie once referred to this city as "charming but quirky." Heavy on the quirk. It's not a comfortable place to live and "charming" would be a massive stretch. But. It has worked its way into my heart and taken up permanent residence and I will probably never be able to evict it even if I want to.

I digress.

I'm alone for the next day before my roomies return. Normally my apartment is super quiet. But when it's noisy, those noises are strange. Clearly someone is trying to break in. Every time. Obvi. Anxiety who?

I started this post writing about my fears of strange noises and my fear of being alone in the dark (not a fear of the dark, okay? For real, I promise. I just don't like being alone, actually, I think. Despite my generally introverted ways). But I just want to gush about this crazy city. And my love for the people here. Okay? Well, I'm the one typing so you're just going to have to deal. Or spend a second or two with your friend, the little red "x". You probably already did. This post is juuust a leetle bit rambly and vague. 

Where was I....Oh! The people in this city are seriously the only reason it has forever stolen a large chunk of my heart. I don't know that I can adequately explain, but let me give you just one example.

Inner-city camping. Oh yes we did.

My dear friends organized some bonfires this past fall. In their driveway smack-dab in one of the innermost parts of this city. On a street known for drug deals and prostitution and broken homes and pretty much everything depressing in the world. In the middle of all of this, we sat around and they played their guitars and we roasted s'mores and let ourselves be mesmerized by the flames. These memories are my sweet sweet happy place. Especially as someone blares their car horn outside my window at almost midnight. Three times. Aaaannd again as I type this. Goodness, this place would be horrible if it weren't for the friends who say "screw it, who needs a place out in the country to play some music around a nice camp fire." 

My goodness, I would be lost without them. 

This is getting overly sappy. Think I'm going to wrap this up and stop while I'm still behind. If you're still reading... um. high five, dude. You should probably go do something more valuable with your life. Or not. That's totally cool too, with the added bonus of making me feel valued and important. Um. This is getting uncomfortable. 

I probably shouldn't be left unattended for more than a few hours at a time. Apparently I lose the ability to form coherent thoughts. Yikes. Geeze, Cheryl. Sign off already. As I'm sure you have noticed, quality posts are a top priority over here. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get an inappropriate amount of validation from comments and thus would love to hear from you.